How are your puppies socialized?
The training your puppy receives in its first 8 weeks can last a lifetime. Thus socialization is not taken lightly at Sunshine Acres. Following is a general schedule each litter follows while here:
- 0-3 weeks — The puppies are maternally socialized. This simply means they are cared for and taught by their mother. Human contact is limited to healthcare and frequent but short contacts.
- 3-6 weeks — The puppies are imprinted to human contact with petting and light play as well as continued training from their mother.
- 6-8 weeks — The puppies spend time meeting different aged humans (primarily children) and are placed in different environments to accustom them to change. They will also interact with other adult dogs and see and hear various other animals.
- 8-12 weeks — The puppies are now ready to go to their new homes and start their skills training.
Socialization never ends. As puppies join their new packs, they will instinctively seek their level in the family hierarchy. Although we love them dearly, they must be trained and taught that they are at the bottom of the family hierarchy. A very big help to learn how to communicate with your puppy is to enroll him or her in a puppy basic obedience course as early as allowed by the instructor. Classes are offered at most pet supply stores and canine schools in your area. This class not only teaches your puppy skills, but continues your puppy’s socialization to you, other people, and other dogs.
The importance of beginning to train your Goldendoodle as soon as he comes to your home cannot be over emphasized. Just a few minutes each day spent in fun interaction and training with your puppy will reap life long benefits. By learning how to interact with your puppy, and understanding how a dog’s mind works, potential behavior problems will be avoided. Help your puppy understand what your expectations are through obedience training. A well mannered Goldendoodle puppy is one who will be loved by all and welcome everywhere!
Following is my recommended schedule for your Goldendoodle puppy once he/she is in your care:
- 8-16 weeks — Take your puppy to its veterinarian for a wellness check shortly after your puppy comes home (within 3 days). Start to potty train your puppy. I recommend the crate-training method. Teach your puppy to sit and stay. Take your puppy for short walks, but limit interaction with strangers and their pets until his or her immunizations are complete. Finally, enroll your puppy in an obedience class. This class will strengthen the bond between you and your puppy, teach you both about basic obedience and be a continued socialization opportunity for your puppy. This class can be started as soon as your puppy has complete his puppy shots (usually between 12 and 16 weeks). If you prefer, professional trainers can also do individual classes, or come to your home for private lessons.
- 16+ weeks — Once a puppy is trained, he or she will occasionally relapse or possibly start an undesired behavior. Review the basics with your puppy to remind them of your expectations. There are many additional courses and training that is offered and you may consider more classes.