What supplies should I purchase as I prepare for my new puppy?
As you prepare for your puppy’s arrival, below is a list of supplies you can begin gathering. I highly recommend Jan Fennel’s book “The Dog Listener” which is shown in the list below.
What Supplies do I need to have on hand when my Irish Goldendoodle puppy comes home?
- Eukanuba Chicken and Rice for Puppies Food (check availability for this now to be sure you have it on hand when puppy comes home) Here it is on Amazon
- Treats-small soft ones work well. For an extra special treat, use cheese or small pieces of cooked ground beef or chicken.
- A copy of Jan Fennel’s book or DVD of “The Dog Listener”. This book is a must read/watch for any dog owner who wants willing cooperation from their pet. If you only read one thing-be sure this is it. Here is a link to Jan’s site where you can learn about her methods. Buy her book on Amazon.
- Stainless-steel non-tipping food and water bowls
- I.D. Tags with the contact information for yourself and your veterinarian
- A collar (8 to 12 inch size) and a 6-foot leather or nylon leash
- A 37-42 inch wire crate with an adjustable divider in the center so you can grow the crate with your puppy.
- Dog shampoo (I like the hypoallergenic kind)
- Brush and comb, – A pin brush goes over the top of the coat to make it look smooth, and a steel toothed comb works great for going deep into the coat.
- Nail clippers
- Cleanup supplies such as a stain remover, paper towels, deodorizing and odor neutralizing spray(like Natures Miracle)
- Chew Toys (Kong is one of my favorite brands.) Do not get any rawhide chews.
This is a list of the basic necessities. There are many other helpful and fun products available at pet supply stores.